Retired and gone sailing.

Please see below for examples of what we used to do before retiring.

What We Do.

AVI Designs and builds custom vision systems, Traceability solutions, and small automation for the most demanding applications.

Examples of what we offer.

AVI writes machine vision and automation applications to run in Windows, OS X, iOS, BSD, Linux, and Android.
We specialize in the applications where canned systems such as Cognex, Keyence, etc. aren't quite enough. The problem with those companies is not that they can't do what we do, it's that they have to be able to sell thousands, or tens of thousands of whatever they build. For example: there are hundreds, or thousands of camera sensors with specifications that range across the board, but only a few are offered in these systems. There are many image processing libraries, but not one is perfect; you need to be able to offer them all and write custom algorithms when needed.
It all boils down to the 80-20 rule which states "80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes". The canned vision companies are a good fit in 80% of the applications out there but are not a good fit for the remaining 20%. For the 20% we offer custom systems engineered specifically for your application; for the 80% we have partnered with Zebra Vision and Scanners. We have stayed in business for twenty-one years by being the customers advocate, and not selling a custom system where an off-the-shelf system will do, and not selling an off-the-shelf system where a custom system is required.
Look forward to speaking / writing with you about any questions you may have.

Turn-Key Systems

With our in-house design and build of tooling, and our in-house small automation capabilities including PLC, Motion Control, and Panel Building we can provide turn-key systems that arrive at your door ready to perform their intended function.

Training and Support

We offer free training in your facility, and our support in unparalleled.


Spatial Differentiation Imaging Project on Flash X-Ray at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Machine Vision Technologies

  • 2D Imaging Up To 71MB Resolution; Color and B/W
  • 3D Laser Profiling.
  • 3D Point Cloud Imaging.
  • 3D Stereo Imaging.
  • Photometric Stereo Imaging
  • TOF (Time of Flight)
  • SWIR and LWIR Infrared Imaging.
  • Ultraviolet Imaging.
  • High Speed Imaging, 7200 Inspections per Second and Above.
  • Line Scan Imaging.
  • High Speed Web Inspection

Inspection Types

  • Print Quality Inspection.
  • Printed Circuit Board Inspection.
  • Solder Joint Inspection
  • Microscopic, or Large Scale Contamination Detection.
  • Precision Gaging.
  • Web Inspection.
  • Color Inspection.
  • Optical Character Recognition.
  • Optical Character Verification.

Application Based, and Web Based Solutions

  • RFID Badge Scanners To Restrict Access To Machine Parameters, and Record Changes Made by Authorized Personnel Application personnel in A Database.
  • Specialized Software For Traceability.


  • Automated Laser Etching Machines.
  • Parts Handling.
  • Linear Measurement Equipment.
  • Complex Motion Control.

Industries We Serve

  • U.S Government Laboratories
  • Automotive
  • Electronics
  • Food Processing
  • Household Appliances
  • Health and Hygiene
  • Medical
  • Earth Moving Machinery